Cultural Mentoring Promises

Go down

Cultural Mentoring Promises

Post by Bird on Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:48 pm

For those of you who attended Mark Morey's wonderful talk on Cultural Mentoring, we all made a promises of "something concrete that we would do within two weeks". Linda offered to follow up with everyone to see if they had actually accomplished what they had intended. And I thought it would be nice to share our stories here!

I haven't done mine yet, but will follow up when I do!

Eric

Bird

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cultural Mentoring Promises

Post by Bird on Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:26 pm

My commitment was the following: the create a plan for a "rite of passage ceremony" for our son's 13th birthday (January)

Progress to report: Well, I've thought about it a lot, and talked to my wife a little, and she liked the idea. Since I haven't formally done anything yet, here's goes my outline, on the fly:

For Gabriel:

Have a bonfire in our yard, and have Gabriel gather the wood for this and prepare it.

Gather some of the people who have been key to his growth, both family and teachers. Dale and Julie (Earth Arts), Tim Drake (Primitive Pursuits), Caryn and Jayne (piano teachers), my parents, Cathleen's Mom and others that Gabe wants to invite.

Outline some of Gabe's key growth moments or periods. Gather stories from teachers that they are willing to share in circle.

Let Gabe speak about what he has learned, and where he sees himself going in life. Have him make a commitment to do something within a years time.

Let Gabe go off to the far side of our property where a small fire place will be ready for him. He will light the fire, and then sit with his own thought for one hour while everyone else goes inside to enjoy food and drink and talk.

When Gabe comes back, we will greet him as a young man. He will share with us any revelation he had in his time alone. We will celebrate!

I'll keep working on this!
Thanks!
Eric

Bird

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Mentoring Lecture series

Post by Linda on Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi Eric, It sounds like you are off to a great start. with the plans for the ceremony for your son.

I made a commitment to have a camp out or a camp fire monthly for my home school group. We had our first camp out 2 weeks ago and had loads of fun. I am going to add to my commitment that I will listen to Mark's weekly lecture series. I really hope that we can bring the mentoring program to Ithaca by next summer. Linda

Linda

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2007-10-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cultural Mentoring Promises

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down